What Professionals do I need for my Construction Project?

Before undertaking your construction project, it’s important to consider who may be needed as part of your professional team before and during your build. There are many specialist roles within construction, and hiring the right people will help ensure your project runs smoothly.

Acquisitions Specialist:

Whether your project involves a new build, or renovating an existing property, this specialist will be the first port of call in terms of finding the right building or piece of land for you. They will also help you secure this.

Planning Consultant:

This role can involve calculating whether your plans are possible and dealing with local authorities to obtain planning permission on your behalf.


This specialist will produce plans of your proposed building works, assisting with design ideas as may be required. They will have good experience of whether your plans are feasible, and work to create your ultimate design.

Quantity Surveyor:

Broadly, the QS will look at your potential costs and whether your ultimate design ties in with your budget. For more on the role of a QS, take a look at another one of our articles titled; ‘What is a Quantity Surveyor?’

Principle Designer:

This role has a confusing title, but their responsibility is to ensure that your construction plans align with health and safety laws. The Principal Designer will follow Construction Design and Management (CDM) regulations to ensure your plans tick all the relevant boxes.

Ground Investigation specialist:

They will create a Ground Condition Report before construction begins, to ensure the land can be developed upon. This informs you of what the ground is made up of and the information could prevent delays occurring when construction begins.

Structural Engineer:

For new builds, your Structural Engineer will design all the key elements of the building’s structural integrity including the foundations, brickwork, floors and roof. This role is also a necessity if your plans involve altering or adding to an existing building, where structural elements will need to be considered to create your new design.

Building Surveyor:

Working in tandem with the Structural Engineer, this role involves providing a survey of an existing building and discovering potential issues such as damp, rot, defects or even Japanese knotweed.

Asbestos/Radon Gas/Lead Paint Specialists:

Hiring these specialists could be recommended by your Building Surveyor. They can complete surveys to discover if such issues exist as they may hinder your construction plans.

Party Wall Surveyor:

If your work is in close proximity to neighbours, a party wall survey may be legally required. It ensures your neighbours are fully informed of works you are undertaking and are in agreement. It also records conditions before the works take place.

Interior Designer:

You may want help and advice with the final appearance of the interior of your building. An Interior Designer would be hired for this purpose and can help you create the ‘wow-factor’. Other specialists, such as lighting and IT could be hired in the initial stages to co-ordinate with the architect who is designing the build.

Acoustician/Lighting specialist:

An Acoustician can be hired if you are constructing a building which will produce a higher degree of sound than average (for example, a bar or nightclub) and they can help limit that sound between buildings or floors within the same building.

Building Inspector:

This role involves checking that your constructions plans are in accordance with today’s building regulations. The Inspector also periodically checks on the building works as they proceed to ensure the regulations are being adhered to. They can be from the local authority or an independent firm.

Clerk of Works:

Can assist you in overseeing and vetting the workmanship, materials and quality of the works as it proceeds, undertaking more frequent visits directly on your behalf and in perhaps far more detail than the Building Inspector.


This major player of the team can also provide a lot of sound advice prior to and during the works. Members of your professional team, including your QS, can of course recommend a suitable contractor to you.